ONLINE CONTEMPORARY RN CASE MANAGER CERTIFICATE PROGRAM (30 CE)—Enroll in a Scheduled Class
Questions? Contact Us
Any questions or if you are a healthcare organization requiring an invoice before payment or interested in group pricing or training, please contact:
Kelly Kruse Nelles, RN, APRN-BC, MS
(608) 437-6035 (CST)
Contemporary RN Case Manager Certificate Program
Online: Enroll in a Scheduled Class
- Fully Online 30 CE Education Program for Registered Nurses
- User friendly eLearning Classroom allows for easy access to faculty lectures, videos, weblinks, practice tools and resources
- Lectures provided by experienced, practice-centric faculty
- Successful completion results in CE award and Certificate of Completion
- Graduates have ongoing access to faculty webinars, podcasts and recommended practice resources
GENERAL INFORMATION AND OVERVIEW
- Enroll in the Contemporary RNCM Certificate Program and receive email confirmation to begin the program on the designated start date that you select from our list of class options
- Works well for busy RNs who need to prepare in advance, or who simply prefer a dedicated time frame
- Successful completion is easily accomplished by setting aside 4 hours/week
- Work at your own pace, on your own schedule each week. No formal class time required.
- Receive weekly messaging from Faculty to help you stay on track
- 60 days to Complete
- 30 CE and Certificate of Completion awarded upon successful completion of the program
- Tuition $1050
Contemporary RN Case Managers focus on improving the health of chronically ill people and populations at risk for poor health outcomes while assuring high quality care and lower costs. Many of these jobs place the RN in primary or specialty medical clinics or other community-based care sites, as well as in acute and long-term care. RN case managers assure best care during care transitions across settings and among varied providers. Contemporary case manager roles include involvement in direct patient care, practicing as a member of the patient’s care team, generating a nursing care plan in partnership with the patient, and using technology and behavioral health strategies to help patients accomplish their health objectives while providing ongoing assessment and medication management.
While basic principles of care coordination are incorporated into nursing education, Registered Nurses, as well as employers, have commonly relied on “on the job training” to develop care coordination and case management skills within healthcare organizations. In the face of the U.S. healthcare transformation, relying on “on the job training” when asking RNs to fill Contemporary RN Case Manager and Advanced Care Coordination roles risks the success of both the nurse and the healthcare organization.
Nurses enrolled in the contemporary RN Case Manager Certificate Program will acquire the essential knowledge and skills needed to fill emerging roles, and be prepared to practice to their full potential as members of a multidisciplinary health care team.
Program content bridges health policy and evidence with Contemporary RN Case Manager professional role development and emphasizes patient-centered application in clinical practice.
- Registered Nurses new to RN Case Management or care coordination
- Registered Nurses with experience or certified in case management looking to expand their practices to include Contemporary RNCM practice
- Registered Nurses who are supervisors or program developers for RN Case Managers/Care Coordinator positions
- Registered Nurses working in advanced care coordination positions within Accountable Care Organizations and Patient Centered Medical Homes
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses pursuing care coordination knowledge for work in PCMHs, ACOs, transitional care and leadership roles
Certificate education is a well-established nursing education strategy used when practicing nurses need to acquire specialized knowledge quickly and efficiently to better care for patients. In this program of study, participants demonstrate mastery of a specific body of knowledge over a specified period of time. Upon successful completion of the program, a Certificate of Completion is awarded, demonstrating this knowledge and building on your nursing degree.
Board Certification is a quality indicator for demonstrating experience, knowledge and competence as a case manager. Board certification as a Case Manager is awarded after successfully passing a national exam to acquire credentialing that reflects this specialty certification. Practice experience is required prior to eligibility to test for national board certification. Additional eligibility for varies by organization. Completion of this program addresses the education standards needed to expand traditional care coordination and case management roles in direct practice and in leadership and management.
Online education is an effective course delivery strategy for learners who desire or need the convenience and flexibility to learn at their own pace and in their own environment. Online learning requires participants to be self-directed in completing program content. Comfort with technology and strong time management skills are a must. In this learning format, faculty utilize the Training Center’s eLearning platform to deliver lectures, course content, materials and practice resources and tools.
All National RNCM online courses are available “On Demand”:
- Enroll in the course, receive course confirmation via email and begin
- Work at your own pace, On your own schedule to complete within the 60 day time frame
- Weekly messaging from Faculty to help you stay on track
This program is designed to be engaging and “user” friendly. Through use of our eLearning platform, content is delivered using a variety of learning activities that include faculty lecture, videos, selected readings, clinical practice tools and resources.
All materials are posted by topic. Topic modules are posted sequentially to build on each content area covered. Each topic contains various learning activities, articles and resources. When you complete the content in each topic module, you will take a short quiz to help you self-assess your understanding of the content, and you will complete a short evaluation of the topic just completed. Following completion of the quiz and evaluation the next topic will be available for you to open and begin.
Although we do not grade work completed in the program, it is expected that as an adult learner you are self-motivated and will thoughtfully complete the course learning activities.
Completion of the assignments, learning activities, quizzes and Course Evaluations demonstrates successful completion of the Contemporary RN Case Manager Certificate Program and is required for 30 CE hours to be awarded. No partial CE will be awarded.
Once enrolled in the program, you have 60 days to complete. The program is designed so that you are able to move through the content at your own pace coming in and out as your time allows. Time spent on each topic may vary depending on individual variation in pace and interest in course topics and learning activities.
To ensure your success, experience with computers and technology is recommended. Comfort with the use of various computer programs including Microsoft Word and PowerPoint as well as Internet browsing to access web-based resources will be needed.
We recommend the following to connect to our eLearning platform:
The National RNCM Training Center provides administrative support to ensure continuous course access following enrollment. Participants are responsible for addressing their own technology questions/ issues.
Section 1: FUNDAMENTALS OF CONTEMPORARY RN CASE MANAGER PRACTICE I
- Welcome and Course Introduction
- Traditional to Contemporary RN Case Manager
- Healthcare Systems in an Era of Change
- Acute Care Transitions
- Financing the Future of Healthcare
Section 2: FUNDAMENTALS OF CONTEMPORARY RN CASE MANAGER PRACTICE II
- Emerging Technologies in Health Care
- Power of Nursing: Quality in Practice
- Primary Care and the Patient Centered Medical Home
- Patient Centered RN Case Management
Section 3: CONTEMPORARY RNCM ROLE DEVELOPMENT
- Health Promotion within the Context of Chronic Illness
- Behavioral Change Strategies
- Long Term Care Services and Supports
- Contemporary RN Case Manager Leadership
Section 4: CONTEMPORARY RN CASE MANAGER IN PRACTICE
- RN Case Manager Nursing Assessment, Process and Care Planning
- RN Case Manger Knowledge and Skill Application in Practice – Telehealth, Home Visits, Care Givers, Medication Management, Community Resources
Tuition for this course is $1050/participant and includes faculty presentations, assigned self-study, videos and links to downloadable tools and resources for use in practice.
Graduates of the Contemporary RN Case Manager Program also have access to ongoing support and networking through our “Members Only” page on our website. You may opt to receive bi-monthly newsletters, periodic blog updates, practice related podcasts and attend networking webinars.