September is Suicide Prevention Month and the Veterans Administration (VA) is asking for the entire nation’s help in reducing veteran suicide. The VA is calling on everyone to Be There for veterans and service members. RN case managers and care coordinators are in key positions to:
- Be There to help a veteran or service member in crisis feel less alone.
- Be There to help those who are having thoughts of suicide to find critical and appropriate resources.
Key resources for practice:
- VA mental health information can be found on the VA Mental Health page.
- Information about the Veterans Crisis Line has many great Be There resources.
- Veterans in crisis can call the Crisis Line at 1-800-273-8255 (press 1) or text 838255.
Read more here.